What is a cookie?
A cookie is a harmless text file which is stored in your browser so that the website can check the user’s previous browsing activity. Although many people don’t know it, cookies have been in use for as long as 20 years, when the first browsers of the World Wide Web appeared.
What is not a cookie?
It is not a virus, trojan, worm, spam or spyware, nor does it open pop-up windows.
What kind of information does a cookie store?
What kind of cookies exist?
- Technical cookies: the most common. They allow us to know whether our website is being navi-gated by a human person or an automated application, whether it is an anonymous user or a registered one. Basic tasks for the workings of any dynamic website.
- Analysis cookies: they collect data about your navigation, such as the section of the website you focused on, the product portfolio you visited, time frame, language, etc.
- Advertisement cookies: they show custom advertising depending on your navigation patterns, your country, language, etc.
What is the difference between our own cookies and third-party cookies?
Our own cookies are generated when you visit our website, whereas third-party cookies are generated by other external services such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable cookies?
Here we present you with some examples of the consequences of disabling cookies, so that you can understand their scope:
- You will not be able to share contents in Facebook, Twitter or any other social media.
- The website will not be able to adapt the contents to your personal preference, as it does in online shopping.
- You will not be able to access the user area of the website, such as My account, My profile or My orders.
- E-Commerce: it will be impossible to shop online. You will have to resort to the phone or a visit to the physical shop, it that is a possibility.
- You will not be able to set your personal preferences, such as your time zone, currency or language.
- The website will not have data about visitors and traffic to analyze, which Will make it more diffi-cult for the web to be optimized.
- You will not be able to participate in the blog. You will not be able to upload pictures, comment or evaluate contents. The website will be unable to discern if you are human or an automated spam program instead.
- You will not see customized advertising; which will reduce the benefits of the website.
Can you delete cookies?
Yes. Not only eliminate, but also block them for a particular website. To eliminate the cookies of certain website, you must go to your browser configuration options and search the specific URL to delete them.
Cookies configuration in the most popular browsers
The steps vary depending on the browser you are using:
- In Internet Explorer, you must manually delete cookie files.
- In Firefox, you can delete cookies by, first ensuring that cookies are to be deleted when you “clear private data” (this setting can be changed by clicking “Tools”, “Options” and “Settings” in the “Private Data” box) and then clicking “Clear private data” in the “Tools” menu.
- In Google Chrome you can adjust your cookie permissions by clicking “Options”, “Under the hood”, Content Settings in the “Privacy” section. Click on the Cookies tab in the Content Settings.
- in Safari you can delete cookies by clicking “Preferences”, selecting the “Privacy” tab and “Remove All Website Data”.